Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Cruise From Hell

I really thought this was an interesting story.  I think everyone heard about the Carnival cruise ship "Splendor" floating out in the Pacific Ocean without power last week.  There was a fire on board the ship that fried out all of the electronics on board.  That happened on Monday, the day after it left the dock in California.  It took two tug boats to bring back the dead ship in the water.  While they were out of power, the people on board had to suffer without lights, running water, no refrigeration, no AC or heat, and other essentials that normal people take for granted. 
While researching the things that went on board, I read a blog that the Carnival's Senior Cruise Director wrote during this time of crisis.  I laughed at his sense of humor about the goings on during that time.  Here is the funniest part of his blog:  "I don't smell of roses at the best of times, but as the laundry is not working and I only have 2 pair of underpants I smell like Paris on a hot summer's day.....That's Paris the city not Paris the ......person."
It was also stated during this time that quite a few of the passengers were singing Gilligan Island type songs comparing their cruise to the SS Minnow's 3 hour cruise.
I thought it was admirable that the passengers and the cruise director had a comical look over a strange and somewhat harsh situation.  John Heald, the cruise director did say that some of the people on board did call the voyage "The Cruise From Hell."

3 comments:

  1. I don't think that I would do well on a cruise ship that was full of people and had no power, just because it seems like everyone would be angry at everyone else. I hope all of those people got reimbursed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im amazed that they didn't have some other form of back up plan instead of the two boats helping them out. I couldn't stand being trapped on a boat without any of those essentials.But hey, at least they made it a funny experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a pretty unenjoyable cruise, but I guess its good that they all still made the best of it until people came to get them.

    ReplyDelete